Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Rainbow of Silks





Look what was in the mail today!  The silks arrived from Australia.  I have both color choices and I really can't decide which one I like best.  The silks feel amazing.  This will be a fun project.  Now... what to stitch it on.  Black?  Are my old eyes up for that?  I don't know.

Taffy's Technique for overdyed floss was mentioned yesterday.  The technique does produce the moulted look on the moon I posted yesterday.  I do complete each stitch as I go which is what is normally called for with overdyed floss.  However, instead of doing one row at a time, I do two rows at a time.  So working from left to right, I would place the following stitches as shown:

 1   3   5   7    9
 2   4   6   8  10
19 17 15 13 11
20 18 16 14 12

So a block of five across and four rows down would be completed in just two passes.  This works to clump the stitches and colors together.  I started doing this because I really didn't care for the stripes produced when you do one row at a time.  This helps to mute that defined stripe effect.  I hope this explanation helps. 

5 comments:

Vicky said...

Good idea with the overdyes, I can never get them looking good LOL

PretzelGirl75 said...

Great idea! Thanks for the explanation!!

Thoeria said...

Oh that is a clever idea ! Will definitely give it a go when I next use them threads! Love the new stash....I'm partial to the lighter shades....but yes...the brights do look beautiful too! I guess you'll have to do them both as you have both colourways :D

chickenchupacabra said...

THAT is a great idea! I actually expected you to say that you do what I often do: use DMC threads that match the colors in the overdyed & stitch it so it ends up looking pretty close to as if I'd used overdyeds. I do that whenever a project uses a lot of overdyeds & I'm feeling cheap (also, don't you hate it when you have to order online your needed overdyeds & several of them look just like a DMC? grrrrrr :)

Kalu V said...

hey ! i might try to do it your way ! ...I dont like the way stitches look when theyre done one at a time ..and when im done idk if its me but they just dont look even
I have this chart too but I got the one with only Cross Stitch no specialty stitches for me for now =D
havent gotten the silks thou they do look beautiful!