Thursday, January 29, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Thursday, January 22, 2009
I started working on the construction of Scream House by Just Nan. I did the stitching this fall. Now there is a lot of finishing work to do. I have currently put the pieces together. The grey walls will be on the outside of the house. The purple walls will be on the inside. There are still pages and pages of work to do.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
This is the front of an envelope I am working on. I have hidden the addresses. I think that there are times when less is more. Next I will post the back of this mail art.
The design is by Victoria Sampler's Thea and was called Birds of a Feather. This was featured in the Gift of Stitching magazine.
Thursday, January 15, 2009
I just finished this project. It is my second for the year. I think something smaller might be on the horizon for me. This was stitched on 40 count and it is a bit of a strain. I am looking forward to working on something on a bit larger count.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
I continue to work on Peppermint Twist. I did discover a mistake on the chart. The second snowflake (counting down from the top) has one stitch not connected to the main part. I moved it to match the other three sides. The model (photo on the front of the chart) seems to show that the stitch should touch the remaining parts.
Monday, January 12, 2009
I received a package today from NY. My son made these wooden ornaments and the littlest one is a needle threader! You can't see the little wire but it is there. It was such a surprise when I opened these precious gems. This year from Christmas Jack and I purchased a small table top wooden lathe for my son. He had been wanting to try his hand at this type of wood working. I think he has made great strides. I am enjoying the fact that I found a perfect surprise gift for my son this year. It doesn't happen every year to be sure. I am very proud of his accomplishments.
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Friday, January 9, 2009
Thursday, January 8, 2009
I believe this was by Erica Michaels. It was a little kit that someone paid (I think) a lot of money for at a shop that is now closed. I purchased this at the stitch in for $1.00. It was one of the quick ornaments that I stitched in December. The sparkle in the fabric is difficult to see.
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
This photo is a bit deceiving as it is stitched on 40 count and the stitches are very small. I am using my new favorite tool which is my LED lighted magnifier floor stand. It is fantastic for this project. I am also a bit fascinated with the actual stitches.
A bit of history might help to explain. When I went to my first stitching festival in Saratoga Springs NY (1991) an instructor told me that it made a huge difference how the thread traveled on that back of the fabric. It changes the tension, the direction and the look of the stitch that will be seen on top. At the time, I was just happy to be learning cross stitch and have it look good. This fine a detail was way beyond me. Now - I think about it. Especially with overdyed floss stitching in a single line. I have a different way to do it lately and it seems to be working out very well for this project.
My new way to stitch a single line moving up vertically would be - bring the needle up at the top right of the stitch and put the needle down at the lower left. Step 2 would be to bring the needle up at the lower right (causing the thread to go horizontally on the back) and put the needle down at the top right edge of the stitch. Going to the next stitch, I would jump up the (once again) the top right edge of the cross. This causes the thread on the back to make a diagonial stitch. The diagonal and then horizontal stitches on the back makes a nice place to bury your end of floss when it is necessary. I hope I explained it correctly. The top stitches lay evenly and consistently.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
This was quick and easy. The design is by Drawn Thread and is a 'keeper'. I love this little square on the tip designs. The finishing is easy for these. I will make two small seams on the sides of this design. When you turn it inside out, the back will fold on itself and a quick stuffing and hand stitch to close it. This will be an ornament for next year. The beard is fuzzy stuff to add to the Santa look.
Monday, January 5, 2009
This is the beginning of Peppermint Twist by Blue Ribbons Designs. It is stitched over two on 40 count fabric. This is stitched with Weeks Dye Works. I hope to post photos every other day. In between I want to post some photos I have been saving. I just think it is too boring to watch one project being stitched. This one will take a few weeks.
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Quiet Night by Erica Michaels. This is a fun design. I plan to finish it in a triangle shape. This was a kit prepared for our kit exchange. I love having these little kits ready to go. Six of us got together and we each pick one ornament from the Just Cross Stitch ornament issue. We stitch that design and prepare five other kits while we are working on it. We then exchange the kits. It is fun to have these so ready to go.
Friday, January 2, 2009
Celtic Ice by Ink Circles. This was interesting. The knots were designed so that some go over the others and others go under some stitches. I had to think twice to be able to figure it out. After that it was easy to do. This kit was a gift from a friend and you know who you are - - Thank you so much.